[Bf-committers] post on coding in a large project

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 23:05:38 CEST 2006

> Coding in a big project could look very intimidating. But its like
> refitting a new door in a big house. You don't need to know what the
> blueprint of the whole house looks like, you need to know only some
> specific things about the hinges and the dimensions the door should
> have.

Sure. But my attempts to understand specific parts of the blender
codebase are often hampered by non-commented struct fields... and I
suspect that the meaning of many of them is evident to long-standing
blender coders by analogy with other code (thus conflicting with the
above statement). Sometimes I had to look into the python
documentation in order to understand the meaning of some field, hoping
for it to be exposed in python. Sure, looking for how the struct is
used throughout the code helps, but maybe you could enforce some
minimal comment policy with newly contributed data types. (It wouldn't
harm to extend it also to new functions).

UncleZeiv