[Bf-committers] Blender command line args

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 21 04:44:46 CET 2006

Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Blender internally uses # to represent the frame number, I didnt add or
> change this, was just documenting thats how it alredy works.
>
> Blender seems to use %04d, which could be annoying if you use all 300000
> frames in an animation.

Ah, thanks for the clarification -- maybe at this time the %04d
should be reevaluated too?

> As for the order of args- I wasnt saying its a bad thing. its actually
> useful when you want to work on multiple blend files or run multiple
> python scripts.
> But its not documented, and is the kind of thing that relay confuses
> people who are not inclined to read the source code.

Sure, documentation is always good. Maybe an example or too
could be added to the -h output?

Stephen Swaney wrote:
 > <rant>
 > Spaces in filenames used to be unthinkable before those *bleeps*
 > in Redmond started doing it.  After that, scripting became a new
 > sort of hell.
 > </rant>

Not quite -- recall that MS filenames were still restricted
to 8.3 characters until 1995. Mac's, on the otherhand, commonly
used spaces in filenames for ages before that (and I'm sure
somebody will tell me that NeXT used spaces in filenames for
ages before Mac's).

Regards,
Chris