[Bf-committers] reminder Libre Graphics meeting

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Mar 20 01:33:07 CET 2006

Hey all,

I'm back from LGM. Lots of interesting projects and people there.
Rui Campos wrote some news on it on blendernation.com. I'll add
some things here that might be interesting for blender development:

1) "Create" project. The idea here is to share resources among open
graphics applications. There is already a spec for sharing colors,
gradients, brushes, color profiles, ... , and it's implemented by Krita and
Scribus. The Gimp and Inkscape will probably follow soon. It would be
nice if Blender could support this also. There's definitely ideas to go
further than just sharing these simple things within the project, but it's
a nice first step.

http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

2) Little CMS. The maintainer of this small library gave a very nice and
clear presentation on color management. Basically the goal is to make
sure the image you see in Gimp / Blender / .. will be as close as possible
to the printed result for example. It is or is being integrated in many apps
already. I think it would be reasonably simple to add, just a matter of
pointing lcms to the icc profile files and converting the image before
drawing it with glDrawPixels.

http://www.littlecms.com/

3) Open Graphics project. They are creating an "open" graphics card.
The hardware spec was finalized last week and development prototypes
should arrive in 6-8 months.

I talked to someone who is involved in the project, and they intend to use
Blender for testing/benchmarking. But what I thought was really interesting
is that he told me that since the card is an FPGA card, it may also be
programmed for e.g. render engine acceleration, in a way you can't with
'closed' hardware. I think there's some very cool possibilities here, although
I know very little about this hardware stuff.

http://www.opengraphics.org

4) SIOX. This is a method for extracting objects from an image, that also
works for video. They recently improved it with  "subpixel refinement",
which makes their method essentially the best available for color images.
Currently SIOX without these recent improvements is integrated in Gimp.
I made a small Blender compositor node that implements the basic SIOX
algorithm. Not sure if this is the sort of thing that should go in main blender,
but it could well work as an external plug-in for extracting object from a video
once there is an C API for creating compositor nodes.

http://www.siox.org/
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/siox_blender_post.png

5) Art of Illusion seems to be progressing nicely. The coder of their mesh
editing tools was planning to add ABF++ (he was not aware this is what
Blender now uses).

Brecht.