[Bf-committers] Cloth Modifier Results Baking

zaz at visi.com zaz at visi.com
Thu Mar 16 01:50:27 CET 2006

bjornmose wrote:
> hey zaz,
> I am really glad you did not give up with my ( and erwin's ) comments,
> though i hope you'll have that in mind ! :)

Hehe, we're trucking along.  To be honest though, I don't even recall any
discouraging remarks from anyone involved in the conversation.  Maybe
I'm just too thick skinned, dull or ambitious though :-).

I do have all the emails saved, but haven't went back to them much as
Genscher's been working on KDOP collision (Metzger 2002) which appears
to be very fast and precise, so I haven't had too much need yet to look
at the discussion again, which was mostly collision related.

> different from current baking as
> 1. i could bake/run a simulation ( to establish equilibrum or 'pre'
> condition it in any way )
> 2. i could rebake/simulate/bake parts ( of the simulation in time ) from
> a definded spot in time  ( how ever i did get there )

We haven't resolved, at least as much as I'd like, how to deal with getting
to the intial equilibrium. In testing we're just running the animation forward
and applying the cloth modifier once a good stable state is reached.  We then
add the cloth modifier again and go from there.  It works, but a bit manual,
having a pre-roll of sorts would help and being able to store the results of
the would be nice as well.

Being able to store more information in a generic way would be nice though.  I
really don't like the fact that softbody, fluid sim and the cloth modifier will
all have their own means of storage.  It'd be better if there was one way of
doing this in blender.

Todd Koeckeritz, zaz at visi.com

Surfin' the Web with an ActiveX enabled browser is kindof like having
to worry about getting shot everytime you knock on a door.