[Bf-committers] scons windoze builds and libpng linking/binding

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Thu Mar 16 01:02:27 CET 2006

Hey aphex, jesterking

Recent scons links to $LIB$/windows/png/lib/libpng.lib .. which turns
out to link dynamicaly to libpng.dll for windows. would be fine for me
if it would work. /* says linking dynamic to a lib that's rock solid -->
has been on the OS for ages without changing interface functions like a
adolescenting female .. humm .. i'd better remove that .. NO */

Reports tell it does not
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8311

Actually it crashes on saving *.png files. ( and it must be in the lib
i've debug printf()ed to pin it there )
Anyhow .. I think common sense was to link static when ever
possible/reasonable.
To get me even more confused my LIB/windows/png/lib folder is populated
with some *.lib *.a *dll files i could link to.
further research turned out that
1. old scons was linking to libpng_st.lib
2. which is exactly the same as msvc6 linking with libpng.a (did a byte
compare to verify) ..
3. wonder .. wonder .. all builds ( including new scons with tweaked
options ) linking to that file ( however it is named ) don't crash on
saving *.png files

i'm no official windoze build maintainer but i'd like to suggest
1. having one unique *.lib to link static
2. if realy needed (you know about DLL hell) give an unique option to
link dynamic

smilys_miles (and more)
BM