[Bf-committers] Something to work on

Johnny Matthews johnny.matthews at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 15:49:06 CET 2006

Alastair,

The first question to ask is what peaks your interest in the program, where
do you want to add features? Fixing bugs is hard if
you don't know how anything works or where any of it is.

For me, it was mesh tools that were my primary interest. So that is where I
started. Then you need to find people who don't mind
answering questions. Like myself, feel free to email me any source questions
you have and I will try to answer them as best I can.
Otherwise, you can join the irc channel #blendercoders on freenode.net and
ask questions there, people are generally pretty friendly
and helpful there.

To start out, there is a file called source/blender/src/space.c that is
where most keystrokes are handled. This is a good place to start,
because it will show you what functions are called when keys are pressed.
Then using a source navigation tool, you can look up those
functions and see how they work. I am on windows and use "source navigator"
for this.

Anyway...good luck

Johnny Matthews
(guitargeek)

On 3/10/06, Alastair Mason <alabandit at gmail.com> wrote:

> This might be a real off topic question but where would one find more
> info on the fun board, Trip Somewhere mentioned it in his email
> yesterday but my google of the blender website and the mediawiki, gave
> me no usefull resaults.
>
> thanks for your time
>
> On 3/9/06, Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 06:41:31AM -0800, Branan Riley wrote:
> > > I don't really know much about the source yet, probably not enough to
> > > just grab a bug report and work on it.
> >
> > Fixing bugs is one of the best ways to get familiar with the code.
> > Find an area you are interesting in and dive in!
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Swaney
> > sswaney at centurytel.net

Johnny Matthews