[Bf-committers] compositor-effect in sequencer

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 20:21:49 CET 2006

> This I think is a good core definition of functionality of both systems
> in Blender. This focus also is based on creating animation work, not on
> using the sequencer for editing video, or for using the compositor for
> only editing images for the nice 'custom effects'.
> The fact it can be used for this is a nice extra, but secondary.

While it is nice that the compositing can be a part of the initial
rendering pipeline, why insist on forcing what appears to be a non
standard work flow?

> For example; the compsosit pipeline is still relative slow, and could
> get work on making this tile-based. There's also need for better
> visualization. All of that work I like to do customized and focused on
> the render/composite pipeline and workflow.

Commercial compositing products have encountered and overcome similar
limitations to allow for live usage in their sequencing and
compositing pipeline.  One common approach is to apply your effects to
a low resolution proxy for the live edit, another is to apply the
effect to only the critical edit part 'live' (similar to your
piecewise preview), another is distributed hardware, and a fourth is
taking advantage of faster hardware (GPU, vector processing) on board
the machine.  Also there will almost certainly be alternative
algorithmic choices that can be made.

I guess I don't see how avoiding usuage of the sequencer as an input
gains you much, and seemingly loses you a lot in terms of potential
utility to end users.

> Same goes for sequencing. If you need complex edited effects that take
> minutes (hours) of rendertime, you're better off to render all of that
> in advance first, and use it as input for the sequencer.

As noted above there are many ways to get complex effects to be nearly
instantaneous in terms of the users perspective.  The only 'proper'
way to do many 'effects', such as color corrections require the
ability to adjust and play back sequences in real time.

Personally I'd be curious as to the Orange artists views on what would
be the fastest and perferable workflow for them.

LetterRip