[Bf-committers] compositor-effect in sequencer

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Mar 6 15:40:44 CET 2006

Hi,

I don't think this is a working design (not disputing the fact it would
be nice!). The compositor is really an extension to the existing
rendering pipeline, optionally allowing input of images too. I'm
especially talking from the experience we have in the orange project,
the compositor allows imaging/rendering beyond anything what was
possible before, and/or what we had to abuse the sequencer for in the
past.

The sequencer is also still in use here, this to edit and review the
'final edit' of the movie. The sequencer works great now thanks to a
friendly memory consumption scheme, and gives us near-realtime editing
and viewing. This is the best feature of the sequencer.

This I think is a good core definition of functionality of both systems
in Blender. This focus also is based on creating animation work, not on
using the sequencer for editing video, or for using the compositor for
only editing images for the nice 'custom effects'.
The fact it can be used for this is a nice extra, but secondary.

In the past Blender has always benefited from keeping a clearly
designed separated functionality for parts, this gives the artists
clues for an efficient workflow.
For example; the compsosit pipeline is still relative slow, and could
get work on making this tile-based. There's also need for better
visualization. All of that work I like to do customized and focused on
the render/composite pipeline and workflow.

Same goes for sequencing. If you need complex edited effects that take
minutes (hours) of rendertime, you're better off to render all of that
in advance first, and use it as input for the sequencer.
The (still acceptable) exception could be to use the "Scene" strip in
the sequencer, which will also allow you to make full use of the
compositor. But, by using the scene only, the functionality of both
systems will still be clearly separated.

-Ton-