[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender usability warning!

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 5 11:43:51 CET 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but I am pretty sure I can redo these errors
simply. Of course you're welcome to track the bug for me! :)

For now; just be extremely cautious with the 64 bits version... there's
actually no real reason to use a 64 bits build, unless you use projects
that demand a lot of memory (>2 GB).
Blender also stores a lot of pointers in its data structures, which
means that memory consumption for editing and rendering will increase
in 64 bits with like 25-30%. So if your system has less than 2 GB of
memory you'll be better off using 32 bits.

For tests it is interesting to check on speed benefits though...

-Ton-