[Bf-committers] spaceball patch 3688

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sat Mar 4 01:25:16 CET 2006

Le 3 mars 06 à 23:23, Stealth Apprentice a écrit :

> I am considering the HID solution on Windows. My test
> program using the WinDDK shows the device
> successfully.
>
> My question there is that it requires a download of
> the Windows DDK from Microsoft, and I wasn't sure if
> that would be an obstacle for general Windows blender
> developers? The download is free, but I couldn't find
> a download without registering as a developer.
>
> On Linux, the non libusb solution involves something
> like open("fancydevice:") or some such, and then you
> have to deal with X events in the main loop. It's
> easy, but not very portable, and really hard to
> emulate on Windows.
>
> I did a bit of reading on the SDL approach, and came
> across this tidbit:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/pygame-users/2292374
>
> It appears that for spaceball, it might be possible to
> get the messages using the SYSWMEVENT message. If that
> works, WIndows wouldn't need WinDDK, 3dxware SDK,
> libusb or SDL...

I would use the SDL solution as last resort, as this lib status is not
guaranteed in the future.

the libusb solution is for me the most appealing even if if is more
work.
But only if the quality of the lib is good which is still unknown
quantity.

there is HID support in linux, but problem is with X, and that not all
kernels may have this support. dont know how many. HID support
in linux use the traditionnal /dev/....
Also opening a device in linux could conflict with Xinput and others
beside
the separate development from windows.

the fact the DDK need registration is a problem if it  is needed to
compile,
if those using cygwin are blocked.

Now, we need to find a X11 coder ;)

tested libusb on the mac, seem to work