[Bf-committers] spaceball patch 3688

Stealth Apprentice stealthapprentice at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 23:23:22 CET 2006

I am considering the HID solution on Windows. My test
program using the WinDDK shows the device
successfully.

My question there is that it requires a download of
the Windows DDK from Microsoft, and I wasn't sure if
that would be an obstacle for general Windows blender
developers? The download is free, but I couldn't find
a download without registering as a developer.

On Linux, the non libusb solution involves something
like open("fancydevice:") or some such, and then you
have to deal with X events in the main loop. It's
easy, but not very portable, and really hard to
emulate on Windows.

I did a bit of reading on the SDL approach, and came
across this tidbit:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/pygame-users/2292374

It appears that for spaceball, it might be possible to
get the messages using the SYSWMEVENT message. If that
works, WIndows wouldn't need WinDDK, 3dxware SDK,
libusb or SDL...

I will test it.

: