[Bf-committers] Re: float-upgrade to sequencer (Ton Roosendaal)

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Thu Mar 2 12:11:14 CET 2006

Hi,

> It would be interesting to do a performance test though, a lot of
> byte-only operations can become slow when you also have to clamp and
> convert (byte->int->byte) them all the time. Further, you can use
> opengl to display float buffers, so no conversions are required.

If we some day do MMX-enhancement, byte-stuff is real-time, float-stuff
isn't.

> Anyhoo, assuming byte colors will still be faster, having a button
> option in Scene Buttons is no problem, of course.

In totally optimized code, byte-stuff is still faster.

> The EffectHandle you propose... no time to deeply dive into it, but I
> don't see how it supports 1, 2, 3 or more input strips.

Hmm. OK, I take this as an advice to boost the Sequence-data-structure
to support an arbitrary number of input tracks ;-) Seriously, the current
Sequence-data-structure only has three input-tracks. Enhancing to an
arbitrary number is piece of cake but in real-world applications not
really needed, IMHO.

Anyway, if you think differently about that, I'll add it...

> Having an entire NodeTree in a sequencer effect strip is possible, but
> I'm not too fond of the idea still.

Tell me a different way to have sequencer-tracks as input to the
compositor and the result fed back to the sequencer.

Real world example: we want to do sophisticated color-correction with the
compositor. It is rather clumsy to render the track in the sequencer into
a movie file, then load it back in the compositor as input and feed
that back again as scene-strip into the sequencer...

(Not to mention the quality-loss or disk space used on this operation...)

> I still like it that it's an integrated part of the render pipeline.

Hmm. Maybe I still haven't understood this. Should we integrate the
sequencer completely into the render pipeline (nice idea) or do you think
adding an compositor effect to the sequencer will somehow kill the
compositor-design?

> Or, just putting back the Scene strip in sequencer (temporally disabled,
> will do... :) also will give the composite features as output.

Output works this way, yes, but the problem is, that input doesn't work!!!

Greetings,
Peter

----
Peter Schlaile <peter at schlaile dot de>