[Bf-committers] FFMPEG, we need decision!

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jun 29 13:54:51 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I am very confused about the current status of ffmpeg in Blender. It's
a bit awkward to do all of this just before the release, in CVS freeze
period.

Nevertheless, movie/audio support in Linux Blender was very much behind
the OSX/Windows versions, so for Linux we could treat this as a crucial
release target.

My proposal is to at least add this to the Linux release, and have the
other platform maintainers decide themselves whether or not to include
it in this release. Unresolved is:
- Library size issue (what is is what not)
- Scons/make support
- Stable compile in windows
- testing to compare ffmpeg with quicktime/libavicodec in osx/windows

DJ Capelis: was ffmpeg now in RC2 or not? If not, can you make a RC3
then?

Peter: I would really like to see a doc about ffmpeg support in
Blender. In wiki I can only find the old proposal here:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/FFMpegIntegration

Maybe another Linux user could help with a good doc?

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org