[Bf-committers] Re: ffmpeg as static lib for all platforms

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Tue Jun 27 13:06:02 CEST 2006

Hi,

> to add further to this, there is 164 encoders/decoders included in
> ffmpeg. this includes commercial games ones
>
> and plenty we cannot use.
>
> I did a little test by playing with configure (using --disable-
> encoders --disable-decoders --enable-encoder=NAME
>
> --enable-decoder=NAME ) to include only mpeg1&2 encoders/decoders.
>
> the stripped lib size drops by 1.1 Mb so interesting. Of course we
> want to include more but i would need

Suggestion:
- use all decoders except game ones ("interplay" etc)
- add only encoders available for render output
  (MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, HUFFYUV, DV, H264, XVID, MP2, MP3, AC3, AAC, PCM)

I don't really know, if this makes the binary a lot smaller, but one could
try. Don't know, if H264, XVID, MP3 or AAC have also internal ffmpeg
codecs, so they must be skipped most likely, too.

Greetings,
Peter