[Bf-committers] ffmpeg as static lib for all platforms

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Tue Jun 27 00:03:20 CEST 2006

we decided to add ffmpeg as static lib for all platforms in release
if possible and i did volunteer to write the needed sconscripts.

however after initial checking of the thing, several questions arose :

first, the size of the lib is **HUGE**, 2.4 Mb of added fat to
blender binary once stripped.

second , although only 8 codecs for video and 6 for audio are listed
in the make build as possible
output, when i check config.mak (used by makefiles) and the .o
generated a lot more stuff seems
to be built.

so the question is what exactly we need ? i think this would help to
build only what we need.

if we choose to reduce the set, then should we use the config script
or generate manually ?

we need to build the same thing with make and scons.

the build system for ffmpeg is quite long so having to recreate stuff
not used by us dont really suit me.

For added fun, Os X Game engine builds are curently faulty with make
(it links but some physic dont work),
so we need scons to be done for release.

lukep