[Bf-committers] Release todos

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Jun 19 11:27:38 CEST 2006

Hi,

> The 'composite' node could use a name that shows that it's the data is
> that's getting passed out to disk (or to the render pipeline, rather),
> since a lot of people in the forums don't seem to get it that easily.
> Perhaps something like 'File Output' or 'Render Pipeline' or
> 'Composite Pipeline' ? Then again, the confusion I've seen could just
> be due to the fact that there are two nodes at the end, which doesn't
> definitively show what is the end of the line. Which brings me to the
> next thing...

I agree "Composite" is not too clear. But the node should also stand
out in a way that makes clear this is the only node that feeds back the
compositing to the render pipeline.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/RenderPipeline

Maybe "Render Out" node is good name?

BTW A "File Out" node is already in the code half, will be done after
release.

> I was going to bring this up earlier, but thought it was too late...
> But it's very relevant to this discussion, and would be really great
> if it could be improved:
>
> It would be really really really really useful if the 'Composite' node
> also functioned as a viewer node. Right now, it is very clunky and
> annoying having to have two nodes at the end of your tree (a viewer
> and a composite).

The "Composite" Node always gives (interactive while editing) the
output in the render window (or as optional now, in the Image called
"Render Result"). The viewer node was meant to sample results within a
tree mostly.

So right now you can have 2 imagewindows open, one for permanently
showing the end result, and one for the active viewer. Or just 1
imagewindow, and switch with the image browser menu.

> With extra 'Viewer Node' image blocks for each of the additional
> viewer nodes, it would provide a nice quick way to flip between a
> viewer node and the composite result for comparisons. I've been using
> the image-editor-render options recently thanks to those new changes,
> and Rui's trick of renaming the render result image works great for
> comparing versions. Doing the same between viewer nodes and the final
> comp output would be grand.

Comparing 'render result' and 'viewer node' already works.
The idea to give each viewer its own unique Image is worth checking on,
but it will frustrate the the concept of 'active' viewer. I rather work
on tweaking all of that after the release.

-Ton-