[Bf-committers] Re: Release todos

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Sun Jun 18 19:33:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

> FFMPEG issues!

> - we need a doc describing what works and what not... and which OS's
>   will have it

Since I think, Blender should work somewhat consistent on all platforms,
I would like to see it on all platforms.

Things unique to ffmpeg-rendering:
- hddaudio-tracks do only have a ffmpeg-backend for now (quicktime and avi
  to be written)
- ffmpeg is the only way, one can export multiplexed streams.

> - what version is going to be our standard? there seems to be many
>   compile options
> - will we put it as a lib in cvs, or as source in extern/ ?
> - is it static, dynamic, or can we use it as a plugin (like quicktime
>   now)

I'll add a ffmpeg-version with build instructions into extern
and then we'll see. If someone finally wants to replace the whole
movie-/audio backend with something really good (either by specifying an
interface or by using gstreamer) I'm fine with it.

Linking is done statically, since otherwise one gets into deep versioning
trouble if there are other versions of ffmpeg available in the system.

> - Some ffmpg features seem to be available in the Sequencer for all
>   platforms.
>   This should be #ifdeffed out for non-ffmpg compiles

Don't understand this one. Render options are only available, if ffmpeg is
compiled in.

hddaudio has ffmpeg backend only for now. (since no one wrote a quicktime
and avi backend) That doesn't make it ffmpeg only!

> - is Scons and Make correct for ffmpg now? Probably needs changes...

There is a patch by joeedh waiting to be commited, to make Scons-build
work on mingw. Since I do not use Scons or mingw, platform maintainer
should commit.

Greetings,
Peter