[Bf-committers] GSoC review

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jun 18 18:17:25 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

The Summer of Coding is progressing. To enable the students to work
efficiently, we better start reviewing now!

Sky render project:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sionix/SummerOfCode2006/Sky

Modifiers project:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Artificer/
ModifierStackUpgrade

The Multiresolution project:
<has no wiki yet, so will paste his info below>

a) What I've done this week:
Now that I've got a large amount of work done on the sculpting tools,
I've been focusing on how I'm going to do the multiresolution
modeling. I've created a small implementation that mostly works. (It
works well going from a higher level to a lower level, but has some
trouble going in the other direction.)

I don't yet have a wiki page up on it, but here are the highlights:
* It's not a modifier. I spent several days learning about the
modifier stack (those modifier stack wiki pages were helpful there,
thanks Artificer) and I attempted to code a multiresolution modifier,
and it worked well enough in terms of manipulating the data, but
getting edit mode and sculptmode and any other mode to interact with
it properly didn't seem possible, at least in the current modifier
stack implementation.
* My solution to this problem, which is hopefully acceptable, is to
add a Multires pointer to the Mesh struct. I added a new button to the
"Make" buttons in the Editing buttons (in the column with VertCol,
TexFac, and Sticky.) So to use multiresolution, the user clicks on the
Make button next to the Multires label. This initializes the Multires
pointer in Mesh and pops a new panel in to the Editing buttons which
has a button to add a new subdivision level, and a slider to switch
between levels.
* Currently, it is fairly similar to ZBrush's implementation, in that
each new level simply subdivides each face in the mesh. I'm
considering the possibility of adding other methods that take
advantage of more advanced surface simplification algorithms. That's
more complicated though, so I'm not going to attempt that just yet.

b) Next week:
Get Multires working better. This includes fixing the problems
mentioned above, making the interface better, doing a lot more testing
(particularly with edit mode, I know there will be some issues there).
I'll also start a wiki page for Multires.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org