[Bf-committers] Obsolete Bullet projectfiles? Re: CVS commit: blender/extern/bullet/BulletDynamics BLI_BulletDynamics.dsp

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Sat Jun 17 23:55:35 CEST 2006

erwin at erwincoumans.com wrote:

> Haha :)
I always like to give people a good laugh.
> Actually, those old projectfiles in blender/extern/bullet/Bullet a and
> blender/extern/bullet/BulletDynamics are obsolete. Bullet library has
> autogenerated projectfiles in bullet/msvc, but I didn't add those to
> Blender.
None of the documentation files provided in the foo/bullet dir give a
hint how to autogenerate those project files. See, i'm not so keen on
creating/maintaining those files if there is a 'simly push that button'
solution for that. Not to mention that i hate to clutter up CVS tree
with unneeded files.
So maybe some few enlightening words in a 'HowToBuild.txt' might help
build system maintainers.

On the other hand  MSVC6 build newcomers often fail to understand the
1st 'intern' then 'blender' workspace mambo ( and i found myself
'gnarfing' on it every once a while ) and another step in the building
pipeline won't make things easier. That were the main reasons to pull
building bullet in the blender workspace and providing proper
projectfiles. Humm, i think this goes for other (7/8) VS users as well.

> Probably best to delete those obsolete projectfiles, if noone uses them.
> Does anyone use those obsolete projectfiles?
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/Bullet3.dsp
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/Bullet3_vc7.vcproj
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/Bullet3_vc8.vcproj
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/Bullet3_vc8.sln
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/BulletDynamics.dsp
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/BulletDynamics_vc8.vcproj
> blender/extern/bullet/Bullet/BulletDynamics_vc7.vcproj
> Otherwise, I'll remove them after the 2.42 release (just in case).
With the said above it should be clear i am 'pro' removing obsolete
files, provided every 'stumble across' newcomer builder can build and
debug down into. Oh... how i whished i had tools like that, way back
then, to understand what a program does.

my 0.02 euros, but may be i am missing the 'big point' again,
so me apoligizes and gives alzheimer and all other post 45 shortcomings
the blame
ole