[Bf-committers] Re: Bounding box dimensions & linked size patch

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sun Jun 11 23:55:32 CEST 2006

erwin at erwincoumans.com wrote:
>> already does (this really is just another interface to adjusting
>> scale). If anything it could help game designers calculate bounding
>> boxes more easily.
>

> As far as I understand the current situation just calculates the
> BoundingBox automatically from the mesh, isn't it? So there is no way to
> 'set', it, you can only 'read' it.
> So I thought the calculation was already fully automatic, without any
> designer intervention?
> Could you explain the steps (in Blender 2.41) how to set the bounding
> box, independent from the mesh vertices?
> Thanks,
> Erwin

Hi Erwin,

By bounding box dimensions, I mean the bounding box you get after
the object transformations (and parents) have been applied to the
mesh.

This panel does not modify the underlying mesh bounding box at all, it
just helps choose an appropriate object transformation so that the
bounding box with the object transformation applied (and parents) will
have the appropriate dimensions. If one wants to modify the mesh's
bounding box in the mesh local space, one can then do ctrl-A to apply
scale. The controls on this panel do not do this automatically, they
only help choose appropriate scale factors.

Chris