[Bf-committers] Re: Solution for suppressing "unused parameter"warnings?

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at gmx.net
Fri Jun 9 16:48:18 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 9. Juni 2006 16:21 schrieb Ben Batt:
> I suggested something like this once, but it wasn't very popular. The
> people who I talked to basically said it wasn't good coding style, and
> I guess I can see their point: It puts a whole bunch of unnecessary
> (and possibly confusing) statements in just to suppress some warnings,
> which tends to obfuscate the code a bit.
>
> I've never actually used this convention, do you use it much?

Well, I use it sometimes. But I tend to design my APIs such that not many
unused variables occur. :)

Two things: 1) What Ken says below is obviously true, I guess unused variables
just point to the fact that something is not very optimal, or that the
compiler is too picky. 2) If unused variables are not avoidable, one should
definitely mark them as unused, so that other coders can see that they are
unused and have no effect.

Arne

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899