[Bf-committers] Re: CVS commit: blender/release/datafiles preview.blend blender/source/blender/src preview.blend.c buttons_shading.c blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_material_types.h

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Jun 8 06:27:14 CEST 2006

On 08/06/2006, at 06:49 AM, GSR wrote:

> Except when the material is no shadows or such setting. ;] There was
> some talk in IRC days ago about refraction, reflection, shadow casting
> and receiving... worth ignore or worth find proper solutions for a
> more realistic preview?

While having a realistic preview is nice, it's not the biggest issue
here.

The purpose of the small preview in the panels is to provide quick
feedback when tweaking settings. In a creative workflow, you need to
be able to tweak things around and get instant feedback. Because the
final result is a combination of so many different factors, setting
up things like materials require careful nudging and experimentation,
a bit more of this, a bit less of that, in order to get a good
looking result. The faster the feedback, the better. I benchmarked
the old preview.blend with buffer shadows vs the new one without, and
on the default cube, the new one is roughly twice as fast on my system.

The shadbuf button isn't adjustable, it's binary on/off and the look
of shadows are so dependent on the lights that are casting them and
the objects that they are being casted on to, that having them shown
in the small panel preview doesn't help tweaking the look - it's only
a matter of being reminded that the setting is on or off for that
material (which if you are using the Shadbuf button is probably
something you're aware of already since it's not commonly used).

For realism, there is the live 3D View preview window, which is much
more accurate and shows things that aren't shown in the small
preview, such as mist, raytraced shadows, AO, which will also change
how the shadows look.

Anyway! Having said that, I have a patch in the tracker that turns on
and off the fake shadow in the preview based on the shadbuf button.
It also enables raytracing depending on if the material to be
previewed needs it or not. I won't commit anything to that part of
the source, myself, so someone else  can check it: http://
projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=4291&group_id=9&atid=127

cheers

Matt