[Bf-committers] Re: "open recent" broken

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Jun 2 19:45:08 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 erwin at erwincoumans.com wrote:

> A bit off-topic your train stories, but...
> What is the point "of throwing oneself behind a train"?
> As the others pointed out already, you would just hit the track, watching the
> train disappearing in the distance...
> Doesn't 'behind' mean at the end of the train?

Well, if I may continue this totally world-peace-decisive thread now... ;)

It is kind of making fun of people who throw themselves *in front* of
trains, I guess, because they have not been able to cope with life.
That is at least where I suppose the general roots of this saying (which appearently
only exists in Germany) are.

In fact, I do think that it's - quite to the opposite - pretty tough to
commit suicide, so I wouldn't ever make fun of people who do.

The reason why *I* used the "behind" version is that - although I *do* consider
construction noise around my house for 3 years and things which make me look
stupid in public a bit annoying - I would *not* throw myself in *front* of
a train because of it actually ;)

OK, now everyone has one last reply, then we should close this thread ;)