[Bf-committers] "open recent" broken

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Jun 2 16:01:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had this error too, but a commit from jiri yesterday seemed to fix it. The
> error was that when you didn't load a .blend, and quit blender, the .Blog
> file became emtpy.
>
> Jiri & Alexander: to say it nicely; I'm not very impressed with how this
> patching on patching worked out. There were very elementary coding mistakes
> here, and still the code isn't working in all cases still.

What I find a bit unfortunate about the case:

Apart from the "default starting directory when loading files" issue with
G.sce which was fixed by Ton, I committed just a few lines of code which
worked (at least to my defition of what an "Open recent" menu should show -
i.e., projects you *worked* with [i.e., *saved* projects]).

Then, several people committed a huge bunch of surgeries, turning it into a
code monster with linked lists and dynamic strings (what for? For saving at
most 1600 bytes in *memory*? Hello?), making it work worse or not at all.

After all, a bunch of list mails with "Open recent broken" as subject make
me look like a slight idiot. Good that I don't lack self-esteem, or I would
by now have thrown myself behind a train ;)

Maybe that's just my distorted view of things now, though. The digger season
2006 has started and I didn't have a lot of sleep ;)