[Bf-committers] builtin bfont.ttf upgrade

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Jul 31 09:19:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

Jiri (and another person on the forums) have previously noted that
the default included interface TTF font file doesn't include very
many characters, and doesn't cover their language's character sets.
This is a problem for Jiri, who's translating Blender into Czech.

The builtin bfont.ttf is Vera Sans, an 'open source' font donated by
Bitstream a while ago, but it doesn't support much more than the
basic Latin alphabet. There's a variant of Vera now, called DejaVu
Sans, which has been extended to include many more characters, and it
would be good to use this as the bfont.ttf instead. The only problem
is that DejaVu is (to the project's credit) very complete, and quite
large. The straight DejaVu Sans bfont.ttf.c source file after running
datatoc is quite huge - about 1.8MB.

So I opened up the source file in FontForge and trimmed it down a bit
to make a kind of DejaVu 'lite'. I got rid of these character sets:
- IPA/Phonetic extensions
- Arabic (I don't think blender's text system supports right-to-left
anyway, and there is no arabic translation)
- Greek extended (ancient greek)
- dingbats and obscure mathematical symbols
- Braille

It's not about 40% of the original size, but it still contains enough
to support most of our included translations and future ones too
- All basic and extended Latin ( covering most eastern European
languages, and also Vietnamese)
- Cyrillic
- Greek

I've put the source file online here: http://mke3.net/rt/
bfont.ttf.c.zip . If people who use non-english translations in
Blender could put it in their source/blender/src dir, compile and
test, that would be great. If it works well, and I haven't gone too
far in my editing, I can commit it.

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb • matt at mke3.nethttp://mke3.net