[Bf-committers] Looking into HFSM and blender

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 00:00:49 CEST 2006

Nathan Letwory wrote:
> On Pe 21.7.2006 0:48, Paul Gavazzi kirjoitti:
>
>> On 20-Jul-06, at 4:26 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>>

>>> What I saw of XSI's behaviour editor is really not something I'd do
>>> with the current Node editor from scratch... you probably could
>>> first design it entirely script based, as a new Python module. And
>>> then use a Python-Node tree editor to have a more visual editing of
>>> the linked scripts.
>>> That latter idea is what I've discussed with Nathan Letwory, who
>>> worked on Py-node. Not sure where this code is now btw!
>>>
>> Exactly what I wanted to do (can you read my mind?). Completely
>> script-based would really please me as an implementation. Nathan, any
>> info on Py-node? But I will try to code it this way.
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> I've been working on pyNodes indeed. I've been also 'away' for a bit, but
> slowly getting back on track concerning Blender development. During my
> off-time there have been some big changes in the code I also have touched
> for pyNodes, which resulted in nice merge conflicts the other day.
>
> I'm still waiting to get proper internet access in my new appartement, but
> I'll be working on it again when that's in place. Until then you can at
> least feast your eyes (*cough*) on
> http://www.letwory.net/albums/v/Rt/Noodles/ (note: the screenshots are
> old-ish, not reflecting the 'current' state).
>
> Regards,
>
> /Nathan

Also pynodes and binary plugins nodes will need to work together.  I was
originally thinking maybe binary plug-ins for draw their UIs, but define
their input/output sockets in a static global variable that's fed to the
binary plug-in interface.  My first binary node plugins implementation
basically copied the texture system and auto-generated UIs; but I think
that that's far too limiting.

However, I suspect a pynodes function that wraps an external plugin
execution function might be better.  Something like,
PyNodes.CallBinaryFunc("node.dll", node, num_of_ins, num_of_outs,
"string, can be packed bytes with struct module maybe, is passed to
execution func").

Of course, after the switch to python 2.5 we can just use ctypes, which
does exactly the same thing but better.

Joe