[Bf-committers] Another library data question, and a suggestion on documentation

Branan Riley branan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:42:01 CEST 2006

Alright, more questions about the library. I've been trying to figure out
how to properly save and load library data that's linked elsewhere. Here's
what I think I need to do. As soon as this is figured out, I'll know just
about everything I need to do to make it all work.

SAVING
-Save the library data for my shader nodes
-Save the new pointers along with everything else in the Material structure

What else is there to do in here? Are there any weird functions that need to
be called to make sure that when the data is loaded, it can be re-pointed to
the right location?

I have no idea about loading. The loading code is much more complex than the
saving code. It kind of scares me, actually.

Once I'm done with this whole project, I'll try to write a few tidbits on
the parts of Blender that I've worked with. A lot of blender's internal
functionality is undocumented, which leads to a lot of headaches, and a lot
of time spent asking questions. Perhaps next summer, a new BSoD could be
devoted to documenting Blender's source code, so new developers can get
started implementing new ideas, instead of spending weeks or months trying
to figure out how to acccess library data, and create a GUI.

Branan