[Bf-committers] Looking into HFSM and blender

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 13:00:28 CEST 2006

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> The Node Group was meant to be the library-linkable part for node
> trees. So you can share data among files or create custom libraries.
> In theory groups can contain groups and so on, but that was a feature
> I rather not think of in a first release, the complexity of that code
> will be a nightmare (with node tree definitions recursively
> propagating around...)

I can personally attest to that.  Writing a full-featured groupable node
editor is a major pain, because it's really rather difficult to get each
group instance to talk to each other and get updated when the group
template is changed.   When you add features like a toggle that embedds
a node's UI into it's parent group node, then things get really
interesting. :)  Myself (in my sound network editor), I ended up having
full copies of the group template for each group instance, which would
communicate changes to each other; I'd also fully save the instance
trees (rather then a reference to the group template) to save the child
node's UI settings, too.

Joe