[Bf-committers] Urgent feature request for Plumiferos

malefico andauer the3d_hut at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Jul 20 23:51:54 CEST 2006

Hi Blendercoders !

Kaito suggested me to write to this list for a feature
request I made to him in IRC (blame lazy Kaito :-) )

This is the problem we have:

When editing many sequences, (full quality render, or
OpenGL previews) we need to stamp these frames in some
way, information about the rendered blend file. The
info is needed to track render/animation/other errors
in our svn tree, edit sequences and stuff.

Normally the info we need to stamp is: blend filename,
camera name, scene name, frame, timecode, date (render
date), and extra arbitrary strings, like "Character
test", "Deformation test", "Check this render bug",
etc.

We tried several methods so far:

1- Qwe's framestamp sequence plugin: works nice, but
since it works in sequence editor, you need to render
first, then load rendered images, then adjust sequence
strip so frame matches original frame number (imagine
you render from frame 3450 to 3470). All this is kinda
too much when you have 5 cameras per scene...Plus you
have to manually type Camera name, Scene name, Blend
file path...

2- Mariano's "More Render Options" python script,
which is nice too, but doesn't work for OpenGL preview
renders and have same limitations than above.

3- Custom (crappy) python script I wrote, linked to
framechange event, which makes Text3D objects, in
front of camera, and parented to it, which has the
advantages of getting all required info, but if camera
zooms in/out, texts might get out of view, and if
image aspect/resoultion changes, you have to manually
place the labels (you can check a shot here:
http://www.plumiferos.com/temp/stamper.jpg)

So, here is my feature request: An overlay in camera
view mode, where you can switch on/off the following
info:

a- Camera name
b- Scene name
c- Blend name with full path
d- render date
e- current frame (frame number and timecode)
f- arbitrary user defined texts.

This should work in both realtime and rendertime
always in camera view mode (not needed in other
viewports),  OpenGL render preview should show it
(frame image should be stamped).

Half of the required info is already there in 3d
viewports, it just doesn't get rendered.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this (and
patches !!!), it's very important for us, since
otherwise is really hard to get sequences organized
and track buggy files.

Thanks in advance for any help

malefico

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.