[Bf-committers] Looking into HFSM and blender

Paul Gavazzi pgavazzi at softcactus.com
Thu Jul 20 21:12:00 CEST 2006

Hi Ton,

I was looking into implementing HFSM functionality in blender for my
master's project similar to Softimage Behavior (http://
www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pricing_and_packaging/advanced/
behavior/) since I have played quite a lot with it at a former game
cie. I am glad that you started work for a Node editor, since I can
reuse a lot of the node editor for my HFSM editing.

I just wanted to know if someone else had already mentioned in
performing a similar functionality for blender?

Any information that would help me integrating such a functionality
would be greatly appreciated,

Questions I have are:

1.I need nodes to support dynamic inlet and outlet connections, but I
saw that node types are staticly declared? How would you go about
creating dynamic outlets? A good example would be the javascript
patch in Quartz Composer, whre we could have an equivalent Python
node in Blender with a dynamic number of inlet depending on the
written script?

2.I need sub-nodes. I like the group concept, but I would have liked
for all nodes to permit to have sub-nodes and hierarchical outlet
forwarding. I played quite a bit with Quartz Composer and I was
wondering why you didn't treat all nodes as groups?

Sorry if these questions are already implemented or answered, but I
could not find much advanced info on what you are planning to do with
the Node editor.

Anyways keep up the great job!!!

Thank you,

Paul Gavazzi