[Bf-committers] Python API Question

Thomas H. Hendrick thomas.hendrick at vistagy.com
Tue Jul 18 15:42:14 CEST 2006

Sure thing.  I'll send future mailings to the bpy mailing list about this.  When
I get some spare time, I'll take a peek at implementing a Surface Module.  Thanks!

--Tom H.

Stephen Swaney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:54:14PM -0400, Thomas H. Hendrick wrote:
>> Looking through the source of CurNurb.c in python/api2_2x, it appears we
>> cannot access all of the control points of a nurbs surface through the
>> Python API, even though surfaces are represented using the same Curve
>> structure.
>
> One of our design principles for the BPy was the API should resemble
> Blender.  Blender draws a distinction in its interface between Curves
> and Surfaces.  Our thinking was the API should reflect that difference
> even though, as you noticed, both Curves and Surfaces share a common
> structure.
>
> Work on a Surface module as never finished.  For a while, it looked as
> though Nurbana would be integrated with Blender which would affect the
> implementation of a Surface module.  This has not happened.
>
> If you are interested in working on a Surface module, feel free to do
> so.  Remember that the iterator protocol and tp_getset are your friends.
>
> Further discussion is directed to the bpy mailing list where people have
> more of an interest in this sort of thing.

Tom Hendrick<thomas.hendrick at vistagy.com>                Technical Staff
[W] 1-(781)-290-0506 x252   [M] 1-(617) 448-2585    [H] 1-(978)-244-1149
Vistagy, Inc.                                    http://www.vistagy.com/