[Bf-committers] 2.42 release logs : about collada and kmz import

Erwin Coumans erwin at erwincoumans.com
Thu Jul 13 15:22:08 CEST 2006

Both Blender COLLADA im/export and the .dae embedded in Sketchup/Google
Earth .kmz are COLLADA 1.4.
Unfortunately Google Earth COLLADA files are not compliant yet (created by
Google Sketchup).

See for example this:
http://earth.whoola.com:8080/javadoc/xith-tk/src-html/org/xith3d/loaders/kmz/whoola/KmzLoader.html#line.69
https://collada.org/public_forum/viewtopic.php?t=492&highlight=kmz

We either need to 'fix' the non-compliance of Google Earth files during
import, or wait until Google fixes this.
In other words, importing and exporting from Google Earth / 3D Warehouse
would be a big feature, but it's 'work in progress'.

Please mention in the release notes of this non-compliance of Google
Earth's, and
that people should check either Illusoft
http://colladablender.illusoft.com/downloads.html for a future workaround,
or Google Earth for an update on the compliance.

I will try to get an update on this situation asap.
Erwin