[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/scripts kloputils.py

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Jul 12 09:45:35 CEST 2006

jmsoler at free.fr wrote:
> Selon Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com>:
>

>> Its a pitty because they put a lot of effort into writing it in 3
>> languages and for the mostpart it works ok.
>>

> Did you try to write to the original author before to do any
> modifs in his name ? Did you do the effort to wait at least
> 1 or 2 days  for an answer ?
>
> A long time ago, we decided  to  create "a python scripts team"
> to help and give advise to script writters, not to change their
> works without any autorisation (and without any notice that
> these changes was not made by the the original author), or, worse,
> erase it without any warning . Did you post any message on the
> bf-python list to get the opinion of this team ?
>
> jms

Nope, I didnt, fair point- this was more of a-
"This script is currently broken, lets fix the obvious errors before
release" sitaution.

if sombody does ...
   for ob in Object.Get(): .. if ob.data.name = name:
Which will obviously fail on an empty, sombody should be able to fix this.

Hopefully we wont get this happening again though.

The author made some silly assumptions - like that all objects are
meshes, that all objects have object data (Of course Emptys and Nurbs
Surfs don't) and uses all objects from all scenes.
besides that it modifies mesh data without realy making it obvious to
the user that its doing so.

This is obviously a script that works well in the authors test case but
not in many cases I tried.

Im not removing thisyet because of the issues involved with removing
scripts, Idealy people will stress test python scripts as they do with
teh rest of Blender and well get good bug reports so as to know what
scriptrs are dodgy long before release.

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street