[Bf-committers] Re: Blender 2.42 Web Browser Plugin

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 22:45:09 CEST 2006

erwin at erwincoumans.com wrote:

> The Python sandbox is still active. Python can only import the 4
> built-in modules.
> Support would be nice indeed, but same goes for the regular gameplayer :)
> Erwin
I know the rexec module was deprecated and was not working, in 2003 or
2002.  A simple functionality to disable file functionality, most of the
sys module, remove all other modules except a few like math, would
provide some security.  However, python has never been audited for
potential buffer overruns and other security holes, which is why the
sandbox is not officially support anymore.

Also see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-August/028363.html .

One solution would be to implement an interface between the game engine
python API and JPython.  since JPython compiles to Java, it'd be running
in its own virtual machine.  But I have no idea how difficult this would
be.  Google came up with http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jni/
as a possibility.

Joe