[Bf-committers] GE: realtime surgery simulator

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jan 27 10:56:27 CET 2006

Hi Gerrit,

This is slightly OT, but you might want to check out the work being done
by the Physiome project:
    http://www.physiome.org.nz

I recently attended a seminar presentation by Prof Peter Hunter of the
Bioengineering Institute at the University of Auckland (part of the
Physiome project team).  I was completely blown away by some of the
stuff they're working on: it felt a bit like a trip to the StarTrek
universe. :-)

I am aware that one of the previous projects from the Bioengineering
Institute was a surgery simulator.  They are currently in the process of
Open Source-ing some of their other software, called CMISS:
    http://www.cmiss.org/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmiss/
(I don't know whether CMISS formed part of the surgery simulator or
not... it may not have been used at all.)

I apologise for being a little hazy on the details, but the above might
definitely be worth investigating.

Jonathan Merritt.
(PhD student (Equine Forelimb Biomechanics))