[Bf-committers] Increasing groupe name size

bmx007 bmx007 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:48:00 CET 2006

> I have only taken a quick peek, but I expect the size limit on vertex
> group names is the same size limit for the names of ALL object types.
> Everything "inherits" from the ID type, including the name field.

no it's a char[32] in the bDeformGroup struct.

(For
> vertex groups, it's hard-coded in several other spots.)

I saw these several spots  (4 ou 5).
My question wasn't if it's hard or, not (that's my problem) but if there's a
chance if i do it ,to commit it
(or if there a good reason to limite size, like memory comsuption , etc ...)

> Making naive group names like "vg(3.0x^2+2.0y+1.0*z=0)" will of course
> run out of room pretty quickly.

No because that's not tha t i want, i dont create vertex but just only snap
it on formula. Once again this is my problem.

 You need to find a way to replace those
> derived names with something more compact, if not meaningful to humans.

 expect you're not going to make n^32 different vertex groups.  Your

> set of vertex groups is probably pretty sparse, even if you decided to
> make thousands of groups.  I would recommend a Dictionary system

> We can apply this to the blender code  itself ... and  a lot of other
things.
Thank you for this course of Information Theory ;-)

Maxime