[Bf-committers] Separating the Game Engine: Plugin, Collada, Game Logic Authoring

Erwin Coumans erwin at erwincoumans.com
Thu Jan 26 06:50:58 CET 2006

Hi,

This topic has been discussed several times, and it is time to work towards
a plugin mechanism. I just wanted to share my thoughts, before I forget
them.

Game Engine as a Plugin:
- Preferably a method that keeps most of the Game Engine in a plugin
(dll/so).
Blender can load this plugin. The API for the plugin should allow for
Ketsji, and also for CrystalSpace. This plugin should still be able to
render in one of the Blender viewports, by exchanging the information for
the 2D canvas. I will work on all the details, in discussion with Jorrit.

- decouple the game engine, and add some very nice features in the decoupled
(Ketsji) engine, so people are encouraged to keep following the project.
Vehicle support for example.

Collada format support (I got my reasons for this ;-).
- introduce Collada loader for game engine. Collada supports graphics,
physics, shader (FX).
- think of a way to express the logic in Collada.

Game Logic Authoring:
This is very game engine specific. It would be great if a plugin also could
add an 'extra' viewport with logic editing features, specific to that game
engine. Technically such UI could be done in Blender Python, but I'm not
familiar enough with that part, and my priorities are elsewhere.

Enabling for alternative Game Engines through this new Plugin system should
go together with alternative logic authoring system. Or otherwise the logic
still needs to be authored externally.

With a bit of luck, I can allocate some spare time in the coming months for
this.
Regards,
Erwin