[Bf-committers] Random IPO Generator

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 00:12:46 CET 2006

On 1/10/06, Yann Vernier <yann at donkey.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:05:20 -0600
> Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I hope the following "sudo-code" will give an idea of what I'm talking
> > about. (Yes, it's awful, but I haven't written serious code in almost
> > 10 years)
> <snip>
> > Hope that gives the "general idea" of how the randomness would be
> > controlled.
>
> That would be pseudo code.

Ack. Too much use of "su" within my shell...

>In this case, it's very nearly C99.. if you
> just typedef int var; it basically works. But the algorithm in there is
> a simple capped line, not at all random. I think you're looking more
> for a randomly varying step size for a fairly smooth curve, or just
> random values for a wilder one.

Well the cap is just for setting limits.  If you'll take a closer look
the use of a random bool function will control weather or not the
curve moves up or down. The momentum determines how often the curve
has the chance to change directions. I'm thinking there should also be
a way to add jitter in there somewhere, but haven't quite figured out
where that would fit in.