[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/render/intern/source initrender.c

Joe Eagar joeeagar at prodigy.net
Thu Jan 12 01:38:38 CET 2006

Chris Burt wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Still cannot render with Orange Branch on Cygwin/Windows/GCC.
>
> Work by Hos indicates that build started crashing 12/28/05 with commit
> by Ton dated: Wed Dec 28 16:42:55 CET 2005
>
> This makes things hard to narrow down because it was a monsterous
> commit (about 50 files changed/added) and probably has a lot of work
> done on the renderer.
>
> Not quite sure how to fix this situation. I've included a backtrace:
>
> #0  0x005fd632 in RE_findOrAddVlak (nr=8388607) at renderdatabase.c:317
> #1  0x005edd87 in shadepixel (x=0.0500000007, y=-0.0125000002,
> z=2147483647,
>     facenr=0, mask=255, col=0x22fa50, rco=0x22f9c0) at rendercore.c:2327
> #2  0x005ee9e4 in shadepixel_sky (x=0.0500000007, y=-0.0125000002,
>     z=2147483647, facenr=0, mask=255, colf=0x22fa50) at rendercore.c:2603
> #3  0x005eee6b in do_renderlineDA (poin=0x22fbc0) at rendercore.c:2853
> #4  0x005efbe7 in zbufshadeDA () at rendercore.c:2995
> #5  0x005e6fe4 in render () at initrender.c:1069
> #6  0x005e8002 in RE_initrender (ogl_render_view3d=0x0) at
> initrender.c:1434
> #7  0x00419f0c in do_render (ogl_render_view3d=0x0, anim=0,
> force_dispwin=0)
>     at renderwin.c:1076
>
> I hope this helps someone more knowledgeable with the problem. To
> everyone else who has worked on this and has a better understanding of
> the issue, if you could add the results of your research to this it
> would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to go back to using Orange
> for real work and this seems to be the only kink.
>
> Thanks for your time folks!
>
> Regards,
> --Chris

The problem is a memory corruption error.  On my build I actually could
make a cummy char array (about 5 bytes) that would make it work, which
seems to confirm a memory corruption error. Unfortunatley, this isn't a
heep error, the internal memory stack (and possibly some of the
execution code) of shadepixel itself is getting corrupted.

And for the life of me I can't figure out what's going on.  Is a
function pointer to shadepixel being passed around somewhere?

joeedh