[Bf-committers] Re: Bf-committers Digest, Vol 18, Issue 15

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Jan 8 19:49:01 CET 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 15:13, Erik Unger wrote:
> > From: Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net>
> > Blender currently has a primitive version control system.
> > It is based on the file system and and appending a number
> I see a central repository as important as versioning.
> Ok, we could use something like a central FTP/WebDAV-server,
> and backup file-version with a shell script or use

here at orange we are using Subversion, see
http://orange.blender.org/blog/version-control-in-the-studio for some early
info on that.

> But it would be far more elegant to integrate a generic
> interface for that into blender.

we now have a really simple commandline-calling subversion 'integration' as a
little py script in the help menu :)

but subversion also has python bindings (i guess originally developed for
making web things like trac) so i think it would be straightforward to have a
fully featured svn client in blender too as a script.

> > A diff utility for .blend files would be quite useful.
> I think the undo-mechanism would be the starting point for

interesting point, dunno if it could work.

> Else I would integrate subversion support via python scripts.

ah so you knew that already, oh well :)

> -Erik

~Toni