[Bf-committers] Re: Bf-committers Digest, Vol 18, Issue 15

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sun Jan 8 15:55:28 CET 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:13:37PM +0100, Erik Unger wrote:

> > Certainly there are exceptions that
> >handle binary data.
>
> Subversion uses binary diffs for efficient transfer and storage
> of binary content.
> But there is no visual diff viewer (because it doesn't make
> much sense for generic binary content).

Since the same confusion came up on IRC, I should clarify
that when I said some revision control systems can diff
binary data, I meant being able to do a meaningful diff in
the context of the data.

An example would be being able to see a paragraph has
changed in a word processor file rather than simply seeing
that a range of bytes is different.  A Blender example is being
able to see that Material.001 has been modified.

The very expensive ClearCase is able to do this for certain
application binary files.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net