[Bf-committers] Re: Bf-committers Digest, Vol 18, Issue 15

Erik Unger e.unger at bouncingbytes.at
Sun Jan 8 15:13:37 CET 2006

bf-committers-request at projects.blender.org wrote:
> Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:32:09 -0500
> From: Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Version Control Interface for Blender
> To: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at projects.blender.org>
 >
> Blender currently has a primitive version control system.
> It is based on the file system and and appending a number
> to the filename.  Older version numbers are incremented.
> Did I mention primitive?

I see a central repository as important as versioning.
Ok, we could use something like a central FTP/WebDAV-server,
and backup file-version with a shell script or use
an external client like tortoise.
But it would be far more elegant to integrate a generic
interface for that into blender.

> The problem with a generic interface to version control systems
> is that blender data is binary data.  Most version control
> systems are text based.

That's right, so update-change-merge doesn't work,
we'd have to use lock-change-unlock.
Subversion (1.2 and 1.3) and most other version control systems
support this strategy.

>  Certainly there are exceptions that
> handle binary data.

Subversion uses binary diffs for efficient transfer and storage
of binary content.
But there is no visual diff viewer (because it doesn't make
much sense for generic binary content).

> A diff utility for .blend files would be quite useful.

That would be the king-solution :)
I think the undo-mechanism would be the starting point for
something like that. A visual undo-tree would be nice even
if one desn't use version-control on file basis.

If someone wan't to start with that, I would help.
But I am to new to blender to start such a insider task
on my own.

Else I would integrate subversion support via python scripts.

-Erik

--
software.bouncingbytes (contact) {
     name = erik_unger;

/*
vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, sowie die unbefugte

unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
*/