[Bf-committers] Re: Sequencer rewrite, ffmpeg-read-support (several versions), Mem-Cache Limitor, HD-Audio-Support, Color-Correction

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Jan 6 14:28:04 CET 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Peter Schlaile wrote:

> By the way: Is there some work going on merging the two audio-routes in
> blender (game sound using OpenAL, sequencer using SDL, that way, you
> always have to switch off game sound _before_ using the sequencer...)

I have completely rewritten the game engine sound system to make it use SDL
and kicked out OpenAL completely. As SDL doesn't have any kind of 3D sound
stuff, I obviously had to code my own - which works quite well. Apart from
SDL, it uses SDL_mixer to mix the sounds.

As OpenAL sound has *always* been 70% broken for *all* platforms, and 90%
for a few others ;-), it would be great for everyone if the new SDL
soundsystem got merged into the (now appearently quickly improving - or
at least growing) game engine.

Back then, I just proposed throwing out the complete official game engine
and replacing it with instinctive-blender's
(http://instinctive.de/instinctive.php?p=soft&la=en) engine, which is where
I fixed various stuff and where I coded the SDL sound system.

Unfortunately, that did not really get through... So now, you are kindly
invited to get the official iblender source and merge the soundsystem
yourself ;-)