[Bf-committers] arbitrary point-inside-manifold-mesh test?

Filip Svendsen filipncs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 01:03:28 CET 2006

On 12/23/05, Ed Halley <ed at halley.cc> wrote:

> I don't see any current code in the codebase that tests if an arbitrary
> point is inside a given manifold mesh.  Is this correct?
>
> If there is no such test, then it seems to me that the appropriate
> algorithm would be some ray-like thing, like 2d rasterizers, where a ray
> in an arbitrary direction would have an odd number of face intersections
> to escape a mesh, but an even number if the ray started from outside the
> mesh.  Any better ideas?
>
> --
> [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]

Yeah, that will do it. But what do you need it for? If you have to
check the same mesh many times, it might be better to find a
description of the mesh as a disjoint sum of convex meshes.

I'm just getting started looking at the blender source, so I can't
tell  you if there already is an implementation.

This also seems like an obvious problem from collision detection,
maybe you should mail Erwin?

--
Venlig hilsen
Filip Svendsen