[Bf-committers] Fractional fps (was: Problems with time in do_nla())

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Wed Jan 4 22:09:09 CET 2006

Roland Hess wrote:

> First, I'm not sure why I never realized it, but Blender's global
> current frame variable is a short integer.

This reminded me of another minor annoyance.  I use blender to make
videos, some 4 to 5 minutes in length, which are synchronized to music
and later output to DV tape.  For DV, most things use Type 1 or Type 2
AVI files, which expect 29.97 frames/sec.  Since Blender's frs_sec param
is a short, I have to use something like transcode to my files into
something with the correct rate.  (29.97 vs 30 may seem minor, but in a
5 minute video it translates to a 9 frame or 0.30 sec difference, which
when synchronized to music is very noticable).

What is the opinion about making frs_sec store rate*100? It would still
fit into a short (current UI allows values from 1 to 120), and would
only require changing 45 or so places in the code :-)

Ken