[Bf-committers] OpenGL to Postscript for blender.

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Sun Jan 1 19:11:57 CET 2006

Hi,

I finally managed to code a patch to use gl2ps [1] in blender. Using
gl2ps we can have some vectorial output from a blender OpenGL scene. In
a really fast way and hiding to blender every detail of how this is
accomplished. gl2ps does the hard work and blender does not need to
duplicate any code. I know that the use of this feature is quite
limited, but since it does costs very very little code I'm proposing it
anyway.

I'm posting here also to know if I use blender drawing routines in a
correct way (I know very little of blender internals).

You can find the patch here:
http://www.kino3d.com/forum/download.php?id=2436
and some examples here:
solid http://www.kino3d.com/forum/download.php?id=2435
and wireframe http://www.kino3d.com/forum/download.php?id=2439

For a quick proof-of-concept I bound this functionality to the "Render
this window" Button and the output filename is hardcoded for now to
"outfile.eps" in the current working directory, just for a quick test.

Please test the patch (you have to install gl2ps) and let me know if
you find that useful so I can integrate the functionality in a cleaner
way, maybe adding some more output file formats to the dropdown menu of
the "format" tab of the "Scene" panel. formats like EPS, PDF (wich
supports transparencies) and even SVG (supported by the development
version of gl2ps) can be added quite easily.

Hope to have any feedback soon.

Have a happy new year with blender.

Goodbye,
   Antonio Ospite.