[Bf-committers] tfaces, makesdna and custom blobs

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Feb 20 18:58:22 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> This means breaking forward compat, so Blender 2.41 and earlier will
> not be able to read UV's, colors, or any game engine data from newer
> Blender versions. This is not that great, but it is the only solution I can
> come up with that does not involve placing custom hacks makesdna
> code. Is losing forward compat acceptable?

I'm not the right person to comment on this, but in general, Blender has
always been *exceptional* in forward compatibility. If you look at other
applications, almost *no* [commercial!] application has any kind of forward
compatbility. You can't read Flash 5 files in Flash 4 ("Unexpected File
format!" - end of story), read Word 2000 files in Word 97, etc.

Just my thoughts :)