[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_curve_types.h blender/source/blender/render/intern/include renderdatabase.h blender/source/blender/render/intern/source edgeRender.c rendercore.c zbuf.c

trip somewhere trip0o at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:29:36 CET 2006

>   I've made this a nice #define, set to be 16 times larger. So, now the
>   facejunkies can go up to 128 Million faces, were it not that this will eat
>   up a load of memory!
>   I only have 1 Gig in this machine. A test with 9M vertices and 7.5M quads
>   eats up 912 MB of memory already. If this becomes a real issue, I know
>   tricks how to make the vertices 20 bytes smaller, and faces 4 bytes, which
>   would in the above case save about 200 MB. Not much... but probably worth
>   the try? A much better method is of course 'bucketing' the renderdata per
>   tile. It's a spec of the render recode, but not a quicky to add.

SHESH! for a mesh count that is great ! ... now about the ram issue,,
that is an instant problem. the first deal that comes up is that it
almost removes the power to run two blender programs simotaniously
now..

I know that subpolygonal displacement mapping is not an option yet.
But the methods to get sub polys to render so many faces with little
ammounts of ram would be of some service...