[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/render/intern/source convertblender.c pipeline.c

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Feb 8 14:30:15 CET 2006

Ben Batt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2/8/06, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>
>>   - Autosmooth now calculates smoothing based on original object-space
>>     vertex locations, not global coordinates. This ensures consistant
>>     autosmoothing for each frame. Also fixes missing vectorblur for parts.
>>
>>     Nice task for a dev: put autosmooth code in end of modifier stack... then
>>     it also shows in 3D window
>>

> I'm just about to start making an autosmooth modifier (suggested by
> ideasman). This would do exactly what you have in mind (I think). Do
> you think it would be better as a modifier, or kept as an option in
> the object buttons and automatically applied at the end of the
> modifier stack? I'm inclined to go with a modifier, personally.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Batt (artificer)

we are looking at different ways to calculate vertex normals- 2 ways
seem good- face angle (where the angle is measured at the corner of the
vert) and used as a weight when adding all face normals..
and cone median- where a cone is fitted to all the face normals of a
vertex. this is easy to do with Min/Max - x/y/z but that results in a
square cone- rotating the object could change the normals? - Ideal is a
circular cone. but thats tricky.... still havnt come up with an ideal
solution...

If its a modifier the method for generating normals could be an option-
Problems is this will require splitting verts- so cant be applied before
subfacing. (unless derived mesh structure changes to support per face
normals) - probably just let users find that out :)

My use for autosmooth modifier is python exporters can then save the
bother or calculating normals at export time, as you can imagine- this
isnt fast..
But exporters and external rendering engines would benefit of course..
Having wysiwyg smoothing would be nice too.
- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street