[Bf-committers] Image Editor Mess

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Feb 2 00:24:14 CET 2006

Hey,

bjornmose wrote:
> Hi, all
> I know we are in a transition mode, but the UV/image editor is in a very
> bad state right now.
> So i'd like to pick up the occasion to make decicions how to proceed.
> The UV/image space now is used for 3 tasks.
>
> 1. Editing UVs and having the (texture) image shown.
> 2. Editing the image with a minimalistic 2d painting tool.
> 3. Compositor's Output
>
> Worst of all the visual response to the user is confusing:
> E.g. if a 3d view is in face select mode UVs are shown as if they could
> be edited (which is wrong for cases 2. and 3.)
> Using the Image select combo to switch to 'Compositor' makes the 'clone
> image' selector (using the same combo) look like you could clone from
> the rendered image to a texture image ( would be nice btw ) but it does
> not work. Guessing it is not an image i can access via IMG_BUFF.

I agree with this fully. Ton also mentioned it during the meeting, and
indeed, something should be done about it.

> Proposal:
> I'd like see a selector (combo or icons) to put the UV/image space in a
> defined state (like 3d view does).
> Have a function to retrieve it so we can code header menus, hotkeys ...
> context sensitive, but always understandable for the user .. e.g i can't
> drag UVs while in Compositor view.

I don't really like modes there, but don't see a better solution. On the
other hand, it's basically already there, with the texture paint mode, just
not communicated very well. Some clearness as to what's possible would
certainly be an improvement.

I know Ton has ideas / plans for it , also for render window output in the
image window, that might be of interest here.

As it stands, you certainly have my OK.

Cheers,
Brecht.